Art Sound and Song #2
Bob Nickas and Adrian Rew play and discuss artist’s records.
A show produced by Montez Press Radio.
- Apocalypt EB-, sampling loop, Anton Bruhin, Jan 2000 (from ‘Deux Pipes,’ Alga Marghen, 2010)
- The Standard Chant Pt. 2, Jonathan Borofsky, 1983 (from ‘Audio By Visual Artists’ compilation, Tellus, 1988)
- 16 Great Turn-Ons, John Armleder (performed by Christian Marclay), 1988 (from ‘Audio By Visual Artists’ compilation, Tellus, 1988)
- Min Døde Hest Op. 55, Henning Christiansen, 1970 (from ‘Hesteofringen,’ Holidays Records, 2017)
- The Tornado, Jack Goldstein, 1976 (from self-released set of nine 7” records, 1976)
- The Burning Forest, Jack Goldstein, 1976 (from self-released set of nine 7” records, 1976)
- Two Wrestling Cats, Jack Goldstein, 1976 (from self-released set of nine 7” records, 1976)
- Flipin Tha Bird, Seth Price, 2011 (from ‘Honesty,’ Audio Visual Arts, 2011)
- Bang Bang, Martin Kippenberger, 1984 (from ‘Die Rache Der Erinnerung,’ ZickZack, 1984)
- The Code Of Life, Y Pants (Barbara Ess, Verge Piersol, and Gail Vachon), 1982 (from ‘Beat It Down,’ Neutral Records, 1982)
- Untitled, Dan Graham, 1981 (from ‘Just Another Asshole’ compilation, Just Another Asshole, 1981)
- Another Brick In The Wall Part 2, The Stallion, 2017 (from ‘The Dark Side Of The Wall,’ In The Red Recordings, 2017)
- Ooh, Fuck Off, Martin Creed, 2008 (from ‘Work No. 815,’ SmartGuy Records, 2008)
- excerpt from Fuck Them All, Isa Genzken & Total Freedom, 2016 (from ‘Fuck Them All,’ The Vinyl Factory, 2016)
- Make It Up As You Go Along, Wolfgang Tillmans, 2016 (from ‘2016 / 1986 EP,’ Fragile, 2016)
- excerpt from Theme For A Major Hit (Part 1), Dennis Oppenheim, 1974 (from ‘Theme For A Major Hit,’ Slowscan, 2016, originally released in 1975 on D’arc Press Inc)
- excerpt from Vierjahreszeiten 1981/82. Opus 7, Hanne Darboven , 1981/82 (from ‘Vierjahreszeiten 1981/82. Opus 7 “Der Mond Ist Aufgegangen”,’ self-released, 1982)
- excerpt from Pornographic Poem, John Giorno (with Alan Sarret, Ann Ware, Bryce marden, Henry Geldzahler, John Perreauly, Lee Crabtree, Michael McClanathan, Nina Thurman, Patti Oldenberg, Peter Schjeldahl, Robert Rauschenberg, Sarah Dalton, Todd Berrigan, Trisha Brown, and Yvonne Rainer), 1967 (from ‘Raspberry / Pornographic Poem,’ The Intravenus Mind, 1967)
- Anna-ee, Pedro, Muriel & Esther (Vaginal Davis and Glen Meadmore), 1991 (from ‘PME/EP,’ Amoeba Records, 1991)
- Mushroom Head, Pedro, Muriel & Esther (Vaginal Davis and Glen Meadmore), 1991 (from ‘PME/EP,’ Amoeba Records, 1991)
- excerpt from The Labyrinth Scored For The Purrs Of 11 Different Cats, Terry Fox, 1976 (from ‘Airwaves’ compilation, One Ten Records, 1977)
- excerpt from Witch, Electrophilia (Steven Parino and Jutta Koether, featuring Lizzi Bougatsos), 2004 (from ‘Black Noise Practitioner,’ Skul, 2004)
- Stand Up, Hannah Wilke, 1982 (from ‘Revolutions Per Minute (The Art Record),’ Ronald Feldman Fine Arts, Inc., 1982)
- In Sie Hinein, Fanal (Kai Althoff), 2008 (from ‘Fanal II,’ Sonig, 2008)
- Gai Savoir, Jean Dubuffet, 1961 (from ‘Expériences Musicales 1961, Jeanne Dielman, 2016)
Each month, Montez Press Radio and *Duuu radio share shows on each other’s airwaves.
An offshoot of Montez Press, Montez Press Radio was founded in 2018 with the goal of fostering greater experimentation and conversation between artists, writers, and thinkers through the medium of radio. This platform is an experiment in broadcasting and community building which allows different corners of the art world to interact with each other in person and on air—a place where media finally meets flesh.
Adrian Rew is a record collector, DJ, curator, writer, and field recordist based in New York. He runs the Ergot Records label, which has released music by Aaron Dilloway and The Master Musicians of Joujouka as well as his own Slot Machine Music. As an Associate Curator at Blank Forms, he has organized performances by Patty Waters, Odwalla1221, Dominique Lawalré, Mike Huckaby, and others. He has a monthly radio show on The Lot Radio
Bob Nickas, a writer and curator based in New York, has organized over 120 exhibitions for galleries and museums since 1984. Curatorial Advisor at MoMA/PS1, 2004-2007, one of the curators of Greater New York 2005, the 2003 Biennale de Lyon, and for Aperto at the 1993 Venice Biennale, he was founding editor of Index magazine, 1996-2000, and has published widely. His books include Painting Abstraction: New Elements In Abstract Painting, and four collections of essays and interviews: Theft Is Vision, Live Free or Die, The Dept. of Corrections, and Komplaint Dept. He organized, with Matt Shuster, Another Music in A Different Kitchen: Studio Recordings & Records By Artists, at Karma Books last spring. He has been an avid record collector since he was thirteen.